Visa subclass 457 prediction

According to a report in the Herald Sun, about 52,000 got visa subclass 457 in 2013-2014, with cook being the number one job (2,720 visas), followed by cafe or restaurant manager (2,070 visas), computer programmer (1,900 visas), marketing specialist(1,470 visas), university lecturer (1,290 visas) and GP (1,270 visas). The number of visa subclass 457 predicted to fall in the years to come, due to a red tape, rising cost for employer and too much paperwork involve.

That is the prediction so far. With the new minister, there might be new policies coming out soon. It will be interesting to see how the new minister will address the skills shortage in Australia and at the same time protect job for Australian people.

Partner Visa Charges

The Department has announced a 50% increase to application fees for partner visa subclasses from 1 January 2015.
This change will apply to permanent Partner visa subclasses (combined 309/100 and 820/801) and the prospective marriage visa (subclass 300).

  • Provisional and permanent partner visas - currently $3085 increased to $4627.50
  • Prospective marriage visa - currently $3085 increased to $4627.50
  • Temporary and permanent partner visas - currently $4575 increased $6865.50
This was a decision made by the Government in order to fund whole-of-government policy priorities.
The new fee will apply to Partner visa applications lodged on, or after 1 January 2015.
This increase will not affect you if you have lodged a valid application prior to 1 January 2015.

Maintain training benchmark for subclass 457

Visa subclass 457, that is to substitute the skill shortage for some of occupations in Australia. It is not design for foreign workers to replace or take away jobs from Australia people. It is important that employers train their Australian workforce so that they have essential skills to fulfill the position in the future. Employers can't always give job to foreign workers!

Therefore, it is important that the employers maintain their training benchmark spending every year while they employ their foreign workers under visa subclass 457. It is an obligation, not an optional. There are many ways employers can meet their training benchmark requirement. As long as the spending is to upgrade skills of their Australian people workforce, that can be counted toward their training expenditure.

Please feel free to contact me to find out how you, as the employers can meet and maintain your training benchmark obligation.

Parent, Remaining Relative, Aged Dependent Relative & Carer visas RE-OPENED.

Those family stream visas that has ceased on 2 June 2014 have been repealed by Greens senator today.

These are family stream visas that have been re-opened:
  • Parent Visa (subclass 103)
  • Aged Parent Visa (subclass 804)
  • Aged Dependent Relative Visa (subclass 114 & 838)
  • Remaining Relative Visa (subclass 115 & 835)
  • Carer Visa (subclass 116 and 836)

Yeap...this is confusing indeed. Ceased and re-opened. This is such a political ball games!!!
We also have no idea how long this will last.

Anyone want to apply for these visas, you better be quick.

ENS Direct Entry Stream; 186

I have never pay attention to ENS Direct Entry Stream much, however this ENS Direct Entry Stream suddenly appeal to me because:

  • people on any bridging visas (A/B/C); BVA, BVB or BVC can apply for subclass 186. This is one of the best option for those people who are on MRT.
  • people who are on bridging visa E (BVE) because his/her outcomes from MRT turn sour, s/he can still stay in Australia and wait for ENS (186) decision in Australian...again, this is one of the best option for people who has problems with MRT.
  • it doesn't matter whether you are onshore or offshore, you and your family members can apply for this subclass 186...amazing!!!
Of course, there is a catch here:
  • you need to have your IELTS 6 (all 4 bands; speaking, reading, writing and listening).
  • skill assessment.
  • employer who willing to sponsor you ( can set up your own company and use that company to sponsor yourself).
  • 3 years full-time or 6 years part-time working experience (doesn't have to be with your sponsor).

Family stream visa changes

Last week there was sudden change in migration program due to the 2014 budget program. Government did not wait for 1 July to implement the changes. It has cut few of visas from family stream as follow. All this changes take effect from 2 June 2014:
  • Parent Visa (subclass 103)
  • Aged Parent Visa (subclass 804)
  • Aged Dependent Relative Visa (subclass 114 & 838)
  • Remaining Relative Visa (subclass 115 & 835)
  • Carer Visa (subclass 116 and 836)
As we might have noticed that this government never hesitate to implement whatever policy they have in mind. When they want to implement something, they will "just do it". Much different from previous government. Guess that everyone needs to be on the game and be ready at all time. Don't blink your eyes! Things might change before know it.

Is there such thing as a "free ride" in Australian migration scheme?

Is there such thing as a "free ride" in Australian migration scheme?
Hmmmm....interesting question I would say. I think that is really subjective. It depends how you look at it.

For me, I would say "yes", there is such thing as a free ride. There are small little loop holes here and there. If you are working in Australian migration field like I do, you will spot some. Of course, we are not refer to anything illegal or dodgy here. 

For example, an overseas student who are well qualify studying a degree which is in high priority list of the SOL. Easily s/he can get a PR through independent skilled migrant scheme. What if s/he just get into relationship just 1 month before s/he graduate and then tag his/her partner along as a dependent family member. For me, that is a "free ride" for that person. Anyway, that is solely my opinion and I do not expect anyone to agree with me.

That is purely my observation!!

Limitation on Partner visa sponsorship

The limitation on Partner visa sponsorship has been introduced not long ago. Here are the important information that people need to know:

  • Sponsor cannot sponsor another new partner within the 5 years period. 5 years started from the date of lodgement of the previous application.
Of course, there are some exception for that:
  • Sponsor allowed to sponsor his/her new partner if the relationship is longer than 2 years.
  • Sponsor and his/her new partner has children together.
  • Previous partner has died and leave sponsor with dependent children.

Register relationship

Under Partner visa, apart from getting marriage, there is another option is under "de facto" relationship. De facto relationship means that you and your partner have been living together as a partner (same-sex, different sex, it doesn't matter) for at least 12 months. That is very straightforward.

However, under "de facto" relationship, if you and your partner have not been living together for at least 12 months yet, you still can apply for permanent residency under Partner visa as long as you register your relationship.

Not sure about other states, but so far I know that in VIC and NSW, we can register our relationship and that "Relationship Certificate" can be used to apply for Partner visa. So, don't panic if you have not live with your partner for at least 12 months. Things can be done as long as you plan way ahead and get all your document ready.

Unemployed person surely can sponsor his/her love one

Under Partner visa, there are many people asking me whether unemployed partner can sponsor his/her partner to get permanent residency status. The answer is "yes", s/he can sponsor his/her partner as long as the relationship is real and genuine.

Not just unemployed partner, any person who are taking CentreLink (social welfare) benefit also can sponsor his/her partner for the permanent residency status as well.

Of course, ideally the Australian government prefer the sponsor to have stable job or income, in order to support his/her partner for at least 2 years after his/her partner get a permanent residency status. That is because his/her partner won't be able to access to any CentreLink benefit for at least 2 years. The only benefits that his/her partner can access are Medicare benefit and also the English language for migration program.

Therefore, it is viable for the sponsor to have someone (brothers, sisters, friends or parents) to act as a guarantor in this regard.

Please check with your migration lawyer or registered migration agent who know best about this.... :)