My friends said, this and that

Australian migration is a changing arena. The law and policies changes, from time to time, government to government. Things happen last year, it doesn't mean that will apply to you this year. Each applicant circumstances are different. Don't always assume that whatever your friends experiences with the department from the donkey years, would be the same to you.

It is advisable to always seek the advise from someone who know stuff. Your lawyer, solicitor or registered migration agent and so forth. Trying to save a few dollars, not gonna do you any good. Unless you are not serious about getting your visa done.

There are countless of time that I encountered. People come to me most of the time and said that..."oh, my friends said this and that....blah....blah....". errr.... yeap, whatever your friends said, that was true... but that was 1-2 years ago. Things now are change...oops.

I don't feel sorry that things are changing all the time. I believe that the change is for a better. I am sure the that the government has thought it through before making any changes. It may favor some, and disadvantage some. But...that is life. There are set of rules that we have to follow to keep this country in a good order, good shape.

Extension of the post-study work arrangements from 2013

An extension of the post-study work arrangements from 2013.
Post-study work arrangements for university graduates will be available for:
  1. Graduates who complete their Bachelor degrees after at least two academic years’ study in Australia will be eligible for a two year stay;
  2. Graduates who complete their Masters degrees after at least two academic years’ study in Australia will be eligible for a three year stay; and
  3. Graduates who complete their PhD after at least two academic years’ study in Australia will be eligible for a four year stay.
The existing Temporary Skilled Graduate (Subclass 485) visa, which provides for a stay of 18 months for those with qualifications in eligible fields of study, will still be available.
The announcement also states that post-study work arrangements would apply to Bachelor or higher degree graduates from other education providers accredited to offer degree level programs, in addition to university graduates.

Resource: MIA

Subclass 457 Sponsorship Accreditation – from 7 November 2011

Minister Bowen has announced that DIAC will introduce a Sponsorship Accreditation system from Monday 7 November 2011.
Employers can apply for Accredited Sponsor status to qualify for priority processing for Subclass 457 visa nominations and visa applications.
Accredited Sponsor status is valid for six years, unless it is revoked because the employer no longer meets the required criteria.
Accreditation status is for employers with have a long and positive history of dealing with the Department and an excellent record of compliance with workplace and migration laws.
Applications for Accredited Sponsor status are made in the same way as applications for approval as a Standard Business Sponsorship applications, online or using Form 1196S.
A company must meet all the following criteria to gain Accredited Sponsor status:
  • be a government agency, a publicly listed company, or a private company, with a minimum of $4 million turnover per year over the last three years;
  • have been an active Subclass 457 visa sponsor for the past three years (with a break of no more than six months, which was not due to any sanction);
  • have no adverse information known of it based on DIAC and DEEWR monitoring, including formal warnings and sanctions;
  • have had at least 30 primary Subclass 457 visa applications granted in the previous 12 months;
  • have lodged a high level of Decision Ready applications over the previous two years;
  • have a non-approval rate of less than three percent during the previous three years; and
  • have Australian workers comprising at least 75 percent of its workforce in Australia, and have made a commitment to maintain this level.
Source: MIA

Work and Holiday Visa for Argentina

Minister Bowen today announced that Argentina has been added to the list of countries which have access to the Work and Holiday (Subclass 462) visa arrangements.
Work and Holiday visas are currently available for Bangladesh, Chile, Indonesia, Iran, Malaysia, Thailand, Turkey and the USA.

On 12 October the Minister announced that Papua New Guinea (PNG) would be added to the list.
PNG will have 100 visas, and Argentina 500.

The actual date of these visas being available has yet to be announced.

Source: Migration Institute of Australia

The limitation of ETA (subclass 976)

While ETA is one option of a Tourist Visa (subclass 976) that allow citizen of a few countries that have some arrangement or agreement with Australian government to easily apply for a short tourist visa. There are some limitations that one should be aware of:

- it can only allow the applicants to stay up to 3 months.
- the visa holder cannot renew or extend this visa while in Australia, or after the 3 months period.

If the applicant want to stay longer, the better option is a generic Tourist Visa (subclass 676) that would allowed the visa applicant to stay up to 12 months.

New English Language Tests for Student Visas from 5 November 2011

From 5 November 2011, the department will accept English language test results from the following alternative tests to the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) for Student visa purposes taken in any country:
  • Test of English as a Foreign Language internet-based test (TOEFL iBT)
  • Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic
  • Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) test (also known as Certificate in Advanced English).


Private Health Insurance for visa 457

Getting private health insurance for visa 457 is not that hard or expensive like many people think.

I just talked to Medibank Private Health Insurance about 10 minutes ago.
Here are the things that everyone should know.
- It's true that you need to buy the private health insurance for 4 years, but you can make arrange to pay this on monthly basis, work out be at $105.00 per month, as of today.
- There is no contract, so you could cancel this anytime. If your visa application is not successful, then you can just simply ring them up and cancel your policy.
- As of today, it got 30 days cooling off period. So, if anything go wrong with your visa application within this 30 days, you can just call it off and get your money refund...

oh...BTW... I am doing this not to promote Medibank or whatever. I didn't get any commission or any benefit of doing it. This is purely for a benefit of people who are worries (some of my clients do) about the cost of 4 years private health insurance that they need to pay when they submit their visa application; 457.

It's not that hard as you might think...people...ask or consult the one who knows...:)

only people who work in "migration" field would understand this

I have been working as a Registered Migration Agent for quite sometime now. From my personal observation, I then realize how hard people want to migrate to Australia. Seems that only people who work in the "migration" field would ever understand.

I have met and know lots of people who get their residency status easily. That was because their mum re-marriage to an Australian man. Then those young children effortlessly migrated with their mother. Most of the paper work and all the hard work has been done by their mum. So, those kids start to take things for granted. Sadly, a lots of them have not make a full use of the opportunity given.

On the other hand, there are many people who have skills and will be very benefit both socially and economically to this country, trying so hard to gain a residency status and migrate here. Yet, they have been put in such a long waiting period.

What I wanted to point out here is that, those people who successfully migrate to Australia and gain their residency status should really make a full use of their opportunity. Study hard, work hard.... and at least...please contribute something back to the society, to this country.

Remember.... what goes round, come around!!!

My son is 19, can I include him into my application?

Yesterday, I got a called from one lady. She recently just re-marriage to an Australian man. She has a son from her previous marriage, he is now 19 years old. She would apply for her Australian permanent residency and would like to know if she would be able to include her son into her application.

The answer is "no". She can't include her son in the same application as he is now over 18. Only the children under 18 could include in the same application as an independent child.

However, she could still sponsor him once she got her residency status. She could do that before he turn 25, as long as he still single and very much depends for her financial support. This is important that both mom and son need to show evident of dependency. If she still transfer money to her son, she would need to keep those receipt and bank statement...and so on.

As spouse visa has 2 stages:
- Stage 1, the application has been approved and the applicant will get a Temporary Residency (TR) status.
- Stage 2, 2 years after the application date, if the couple still in relationship, then the lady will be granted for her Permanent Residency status.

In order to sponsor for her son, the mother doesn't need to wait for her stage 2 visa status. She could just sponsor him after she got her TR status in stage 1.

Anyone need more information on this, please do not hesitate to contact me. Either via email (preferred) or phone.

Leaky Boat

Interesting special Q&A session about the refugee and politic in Australia.
I encourage anyone to watch this online at​view/795011 

Please be informed that I am not in any ways to persuade anyone about this issues; refugee & politic in Australia. I just found this program is informative and would love to share this with you all. Everyone entitle to have your own opinion on this.

IELTS seems to be part of everything...

It seems that IELTS is now part of everything in Australia. Whether to get job, or to migrate into this country. You will need an IELTS.

I got a few clients who sat and re-sat for IELTS many times, just to get whatever score that will leads them to employment or residency status in this country. I felt bad for them some time, but I guess that it's just part of life. It's just another thing in life that we have to dealt with, things that we have to go through. Take a look from a bigger perspective, then it's in fact a good policy or good strategy from Australian government. I am "for" the IELTS test as part of the migration program. I think everyone should have a basic knowledge of English language, in order to communicate effectively in Australia society. That is to enable our citizen to integrate into the society. It's just a bit of pieces and puzzles, and IELTS is part of it.

For those people who want to gain the residency status or migrate into Australia, it is advisable that you sit for your IELTS test earlier. As sometime, the test result might surprise you. I have seen lots of people who over-confidence and thought that s/he could get a good result. Not until they sat for the IELTS, they then realize of their real level of English language skill that they have.

To avoid any unnecessarily surprises, I strongly suggest to anyone, to sit for IELTS test, as soon as possible. Don't leave it until the last minute. It won't do you any good... :)

Student Visa English Language Requirements

Some Student visa applicants are required to provide the results of an English language test.
As of 20 May 2011, the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) test is one English language test option accepted by the department for Student visa purposes. The department can also accept an English language test result from test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) and the Occupational English Test (OET) in 14 countries where IELTS is not available.
However, the department will shortly be able to accept the following English language test options for Student visa application purposes:
  • TOEFL in all countries
  • Pearson Test of English Academic (Pearson) in all countries
  • Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) from Cambridge ESOL (Cambridge) in all countries.
Equivalency scores for TOEFL, Pearson and Cambridge are being finalised and will be announced shortly. Test results from these alternative test providers (or in the case of TOEFL, from applicants in countries other than the 14 previously specified) will not be accepted for Student visa purposes until after this process has been completed. This is expected to be in place later this year.
The department will continue to accept a test result from IELTS. Current testing arrangements and equivalency scores for IELTS will not change.
The department will be closely monitoring the implementation of the new test providers and a review will be undertaken to determine whether these should be extended for the use with other visa programs.

Visa Assistance for Japanese Nationals

Visa Assistance for Japanese Nationals
The Minister for Immigration and Citizenship, Chris Bowen, has issued a media release advising all Japanese nationals in Australia who are unable to fly home or are on temporary visas to contact the Department of Immigration and Citizenship as soon as possible.
‘DIAC will take the circumstances in Japan into account when dealing with requests for visa extensions and will consider, on a case by case basis, the options for Japanese in Australia whose visas to remain here are about to run out.'
Australian citizens in Japan should contact DIAC immediately if they wish to travel to Australia with their children if those children are not Australian citizens.
‘Australian citizen parents located in Japan who have children born overseas who have not applied for, or been approved for, Australian citizenship by descent should contact DIAC to discuss the most appropriate way for their children to travel to Australia,' Mr Bowen said.
DIAC will also look at extending the validity of time-limited requirements for visa applicants located in Japan if the assessment of an application has been delayed by events there.
In view of the disaster in Japan, the Australian Embassy's immigration staff in Tokyo will work throughout the weekend to address urgent migration issues.
PASSPORT ASSISTANCE FOR AUSTRALIANS AFFECTED BY JAPANESE TSUNAMIThe Foreign Minister, Kevin Rudd, has announced that Australians who have lost their passports during Japan’s natural disaster will not have to pay to replace them. The Australian Government will waive fees for replacing valid passports lost, damaged, destroyed or unavailable due to the earthquakes and tsunami in Japan.

New Change to Student Visa (onshore)

OVERSEAS STUDENT HEALTH COVER (OSHC): Since 1 January 2011 it has become mandatory that all international students take out OSHC to cover the entire duration of their proposed stay in Australia. This includes the period after the course has finished but before the visa expires (can vary from one month to four months depending on length of course and when the course finishes). Evidence of the OSHC must be provided regardless of Assessment Level (including AL1 countries who previously were granted based only on declaration). The only students exempt from taking out OSHC are those with specific overseas students reciprocal health care arrangements with Australia, namely Belgium and some students from Norway and Sweden.

important information people should know before applying for Australian visa

There are important things you should know before applying for, or being granted, an Australian visa.
This includes information about:
  • applying for the right type of visa
  • application requirements
  • your obligations while in Australia
  • the importance of complying with visa conditions.
The video 'Coming to Australia' will provide you with helpful information regarding your visit

please see YouTube VDO at