Overstay & Partner Visa

Partner Visa applicants who have not held a substantive visa in the last 28 days, will need to demonstrate compelling reasons exist for the grant of a partner visa. 

Child Citizen; spent the first 10 years of their life in Australia

A child who was born in Australia will become an Australian citizen if:
- at least one of the parent is an Australian permanent resident, or
- at least of the parent is an Australian citizen.

A child who was born in Australia on or after 20 August 1986 and spent the first 10 years of his/her life in Australia will also become an Australian citizen, regardless of the visa type of their parents.

A child may apply for his/her evidence of citizenship via ImmiAccount.

JobSeeker & JobKeeper

Normally someone holding a PR has to wait two years until they can get any financial support from Centrelink

During the Covid-19 crisis, the government has made some adjustments for people holding a PR for less than two years, so they’ll be able to get support from the government.
- If you’re unemployed, you can get a JobSeeker $550 per 2 weeks; https://my.gov.au/

- If you have a job, you can get a JobKeeper benefit. It can be done through the employer via the ATO; http://ato.gov.au. Each person gets $1,500 per 2 weeks. Sole traders or people that are self-employed can also get this benefit as well.

A superannuation can be withdrawn via https://my.gov.au/, up to $10,000 per financial year. This financial year (end June 2020) and maximum up to $10,000 next financial year.

People who get the JobSeeker won’t get JobKeeper
People who get the JobKeeper won’t get JobSeeker

We have to choose one of them.

Employees don’t have to do anything for the JobKeeper, the employer will be the one who does all the paperwork with the ATO.

This is an advantage of being a PR/citizen of Australia.

Covid Visa; subclass 408

Covid Visa; subclass 408

The government has released a new legislation on 6 April 2020, concerning Visas of people who have problems leaving Australia.

This could be due to the lockdown of the destination or due to flight cancellations.

The government has released this legislation so affected people can apply for the subclass 408 Visa.

But don’t get too excited, the subclass 408 Visa has been around for a long time, it is a Temporary Activity Visa.

Normally people who do religious work or take care of children of diplomats, apply for this Visa. I personally don’t like any of the subclass 40* types.

No matter if it’s the subclass 403, subclass 407 (Training Visa) or subclass 408 (Temporary Activity).

This is because applying to it takes a lot of steps. Not really straightforward.

In practice, I don't think the online system is ready yet. I take a look at the ImmiAccount system the other day. The subclass 408 has a lot of streams and a lot of different types, that’s why I am not a big fan of any subclass 40*.

It’s not clear to which stream of subclass 408 Visas people who are affected by the problems of Covid-19 have to apply.

Let's give it more time for the government to streamline the process.

I personally think that if you can’t leave the country because your destination is in the lockdown or your flight has been cancelled, you should apply for a Tourist Visa; subclass 600 for about 6 months.

Subclass 600 will much faster and straightforward in this regards.

I will update more on the visa subclass 408 once the direction from the government is clearer than this.

Stay safe.
Stay calm.